Monday, February 22, 2010

What Do All of These Have in Common?

not pictured: cocoa butter, pine tar soap, cornstarch, oatmeal, and goldbond cream

I have used all of them in a weeks time desperately hoping one of them will cure me of the painful itching and unsightly rash that is PUPPPS.

What is PUPPPS?
Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP), also known as polymorphic eruption of pregnancy, is the most common rash in pregnant women. It normally occurs in first pregnancies during the third trimester with an average onset of 35 weeks.

Luckily for me, I'm one of the rare ones that got it earlier than 35 weeks, try 23 weeks! It's said that it doesn't really go away until delivery, so I'm potentially looking at 4 months of this. Yup, I think I might die.

What works?
So far, the Prednizone has been the most helpful, but with it only being a 7 day cycle, I'm absolutely terrified the rash will come back full force when I'm done on Wednesday.

Also, the Goldbond spray and cream have helped numb my skin for about half an hour, and all I can do is apply it right before going to bed in hopes that I can actually fall asleep. 3 days, no sleep, hours of itching, makes for one anxiety packed Caitlyn.

All other creams? Ineffective. I don't even want to know how much money I've wasted!

What does it look like?
Ya right, there is no way I am posting a photo of this beast! It's hideous and covers my inner arms, legs, abdomen, lower back and bum. Delightful, eh?

To all pregnant women, and future pregnant women: I wish for you to avoid this like the freaking plague! I would never wish this upon even my worst enemy. And to that end, I wish you all a good night. I'm out to peel my skin off. EW. Peace.

18 comments:

Ryan + Jess said...

Oh my. I'm so sorry! Like there isn't enough to deal with when being pregnant. I always thought that the "side effects" are the worst, those things that you had NO IDEA you would experience. That sounds TERRIBLE! What about taking a bath in the oatmeal-like stuff they recommend for poison ivy? I hate anything to do with skin rashes. They are the worst! I am keeping my fingers crossed that you will find "the cure."

gillman said...

i have never heard of this but it sounds miserable!! i am so sorry! i hope you are hanging in there. all i can say is when the little dude is born you will look at him and think, i would go through all of this again for you!!! hang in there, we miss you at at dance!!!!
Meg:0)

Tina Bee. said...

Wow that really sucks. I dont know what would be worse, throwing up all day or this rash. Sorry! Just know that you wont be sleeping for the next 30 years. Get used to it. At least you will have a darling baby who you will love sooo much. It will all be over soon.

Tara said...

Olive Oil..I'm telling you...it's amazing stuff. Try it. Rub it all over your body (where ever you need it) - it helps with stretch marks too. Use it morning and night. Yes, a little greasy but let it dry a little bit before putting clothes on. TRY IT!

Keisha said...

Sorry Caitlyn!! that sounds awful. Make sure Tadd takes extra good care of you...extra back rubs, scalp massages, errand running are in order!! Hang in there- its totally worth it!

The Murray Family said...

I am so sorry!! I remember taking care of a lady in my labor and delivery rotation that had it so bad the doctors induced her at 36 weeks to put her out of her misery. I hope yours doesn't get that bad. It may seem so hard right now, but as soon as you hold that little guy it will all be worth it. Hope it gets feeling better.

[Morgan] said...

oh my hell.
this is the pits.
you know renee knudsen (wilkins)? you should ask her about this. or don't because it will freak you out.

she had blisters the size of apples that stuck out 2 inches all over. she was on such a high dose of steroids she delivered a little early. but, she broke out even earlier in her pregnancy than you.

wow, i'm so sorry.

now that i've freaked you out... i just thought you could ask her what made her feel better. she would know.

Megs said...

This just means your boy will be the cutest, sweetest, happiest baby ever! Oh, and he'll sleep through the night. Just hold out for a little bit longer.

kecia said...

oh I am so sorry! This sounds dreadful! I hope it will get better rather than worse for you!

Lindsay said...

oooh, Caitlyn, no fun! I have a client who had this and they induced her early because it was so horrible. Look at the bright side...maybe fewer weeks of pregnancy? It sounds miserable, I hope it goes away!

Emma said...

You are way nicer than I am. are you kidding? I'd wish this upon every enemy and then for those women who have smooth and barf free pregnancies and actually enjoy the entire 9 months, I'd want them to just have a taste of what it's like for those of us who suffer through it.

But when the baby arrives, you will feel much better. You may even want another one later, even though right now you can't imagine going through this hell ever again. It is always worth it.

I am so sorry.

Tawny said...

i'm so sorry...

Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm really into shoes and I was looking for the sake of that singular brand. The prices as regards the boots are approximately 310 bucks everwhere. But completely I found this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order those. what do you think?

オテモヤン said...

オナニー
逆援助
SEX
フェラチオ
ソープ
逆援助
出張ホスト
手コキ
おっぱい
フェラチオ
中出し
セックス
デリヘル
包茎
逆援
性欲

Steph said...

You. Poor. Thing. That sounds HORRID. Oh I hope it magically disappears.

Meagan said...

That is very very sad, I'm sorry dear.

Jessica said...

While I've never (ever!) experienced anything quite so awful, Aquaphor is my go-to ointment for any sort of skin ailment. You can find it at any drug store.

Sidney said...

Oh my gosh I had that years ago during one of my pregnancy but they didn't have a name for it. I do however remember the doctor prescribed a drug called "visteral" I think that's the right spelling. Ask your Dr. about it. Good luck

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share |