Monday, March 3, 2014

Pediatric Orthodontist

Last Thursday was Walt's appointment with the pediatric orthodontist to have a mold made of the roof of his mouth up at Primary Children's Hospital, with Dr. Yamoshiro, whom we were immediately impressed with. My mom came up with us, since Tadd had to work.

The impression was to be made for the prosthetic palatial plate he is having put in surgically this Thursday. 

I didn't really know what to expect from this appointment. Would it take awhile? Would we be out of there within the hour? Would Walt be in pain from the impression? Airing on the side of caution, I gave him a dose of Tylenol before leaving my sister's house in Lehi, where we dropped Samson off. 

I learned an interesting thing about Walt and Tylenol when he was two weeks old. We were heading in to his two week appointment with his pediatrician, where he was going to be circumcised. Naturally, I wanted him to feel as little pain as possible, so before the appointment I gave him a dose of infant Tylenol. The reaction I got from him was awfully sad and a little scary. The minute I squirted it in his mouth he went back and forth from no breathing to gasping for about five minutes and the Tylenol was bubbling out of his right nostril and coming back out his mouth. 

I spent some time trying to calm him down and then holding him with his head back so at least some of the medicine would go down his throat, and then giving up and suctioning as much of it out as I could. I had no idea why he reacted this way, but just figured he didn't like the taste or didn't like being given medicine. 

I later asked at the pediatrician why he would've reacted this way, and he explained that Tylenol is a very aromatic substance, and when I squirted it into his mouth which has an open nasal cavity, it was essentially like I was squirting it up his nose. Think about when you get water up your nose and how awful that feels, then imagine adding something like a strong smelling essential oil into that and how that might feel. No wonder he did not tolerate it AT ALL. 

The doctor suggested we give it to him in the last ounce of formula during a feeding, or squirting it slowly into his cheek on the right side. We had tried the formula method before which worked great but when we were leaving my sister's house, I didn't have a small amount of formula to give him and he had recently eaten, so I tried giving it to him in his cheek. I essentially got the same reaction I did before his two week appointment. I ended up wiping out as much of the Tylenol as I could since I could see he wasn't going to take it like I'd hoped. I felt bad not being able to give him a full dose but figured there wasn't much else I could do.

Back to the appointment...we arrived at Primary Children's just in time and headed up to the third floor. I swaddled Walt up, wanting to keep his arms out the of the way plus he responds well to the swaddle, and then we were seen almost immediately by the doctor.  

The impression was done in the doctors office, and took no time at all. He asked me a series of questions before taking the impression, and I noticed that many of the questions he asked and sometimes how he talked, were directed at Walt. It was really sweet to see him talking to his patient as if he could respond. This ended up in an embarrassing moment for me, however. 

Dr. Yamoshiro first asked me, "what was his birth weight?" I told him 7.10, and then he asked, "and your last weigh in?" Now, hearing a question phrased that way, wouldn't you expect he's asking YOUR weight? Well, that's what I assumed! I hesitated for a tick, and then asked, "you mean my weight?" He quickly corrected me, and a question or two later, just had to revisit that previous moment in laughter. "I absolutely wasn't going to ask your weight!" We all got a good laugh out of it, and I told him I nearly spilled my weight! How was I to know if it was relevant or not!? Classic Caitlyn. 

After the questions, he explained how the impression would work, took a look at his mouth, and went and got the materials he needed. He had me hold Walt facing outward, with this head against my shoulder, and he tested two different trays to decide which was the right fit for his little mouth. Walt stirred a little while he was doing that, and then instantly went back to sleep.

He poured some water into a ziploc bag of powder and begin to squish it around. The molding clay turned purple, then pink, and he told us once it turned white it was ready. He quickly ripped off a corner of the bag, and squeezed the clay into the smaller tray, just in time for it to turn white. The tray was inserted for about 15 seconds, and Walt kept quiet for about 5 seconds, then got a little worked up. He cried for about 10 seconds while the tray was in, and once the doctor pulled it out and he was instructed to "hug mom", he stopped crying and went right back to sleep. The kid was a champ. We decided some of that Tylenol must've gotten into him, and that helped calm him down. He's a fairly mild mannered child anyway, but his behavior during this appointment was incredible. Let's chalk some of that up to the meds. 

The doctor complimented Walt on his behavior, and asked us to set up follow up appointments with him once we set them up with Dr. Morales after the prosthetic plate is put in, and sent us on our way. We were out of there within the hour. One appointment down, a billion to go. 









3 comments:

{natalie} said...

I'm so glad he was fairly mellow during the process! We had to do a mold for my retainer last summer and it isn't pleasant for an adult, let alone a sweet baby.

I'll be praying his surgery on Thursday goes just as well. I'm thinking of you and how you are the Mama. You can do it.

Rachel Murray said...

Caitlyn,
It has been years since I looked at your blog and today I randomly came across it and decided to see what you are up to. After reading about all you and sweet Walt are going through I couldn't help but leave a comment. Our youngest daughter has had a slew of health problems since birth, and even though I can't understand entirely what you are experiencing with the cleft lip and palate, I understand what it is like to have your world turned upside down and all of the sudden you have to become an expert on different medical procedures, make life changing decisions for your child, and watch them go through painful and uncomfortable things. It's hard. You sound so smart and well informed in your posts and all I can think is how fortunate Walt is to have such capable and loving parents to guide him through this. I hope Walt's first surgery went well (the first one is the toughest)and I just want you to know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers. And who knows, since we are pretty frequent visitors at Primarys, maybe we'll cross paths one day. Good luck!!
-Rachel

Rachel Murray said...

I forgot to mention, Walt is absolutely adorable!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share |