Last week Mary Kate's mom, Carol, died of Alzheimer's at a very early age of 52. Without a second thought Ali and I began to plan our trip to Idaho for the funeral.
Leaving around 5:00 p.m on Sunday, we arrived in Shelley Idaho around 8:30 just in time to honor her mom at the viewing. Viewings tend to make me a little uneasy and squeamish, but I was surprisingly calm. Her mother looked so beautiful and peaceful in her temple clothing.
Since the viewing was practically over I was able to stand over her casket with Mary for a few minutes and talk about the past few days, and how she's been dealing with everything. She showed me that she got to pluck her mom's eyebrows, and how she knew her mom would appreciate that since she was always so put together when she was alive and a few years into her diagnosis. She said her mom would've been so embarrassed to be seen by hundreds of people without a little grooming! I was surprised to hear that Mary Kate really enjoyed doing that, and she said it was a good way to heal.
After the viewing we headed to Mary Kate's parents estate. Not really an estate, but her home was amazing! Set on acres and acres of land, and surrounded by their potato farms (classic), it was really so beautiful! I even considered a small town life there for a few milliseconds.
Mary Kate wanted Ali and I to pull her hair a little blonder since both of her sisters are blonde, and that's how they grew up. Three blondies!
We had a blast coloring her hair, and then playing dress up in her room (more to come on that later). I love being with those girls, I can 100% be myself!
The funeral was the next morning, and it was truly a beautiful service. Mary Kate and her sisters did the life sketch, and I really loved listening to the type of person Carol was.
Grabbing a Diet Coke after the service with Carrie!
Carrie and her husband live in Boise and traveled down to Shelley and completely surprised Mary Kate! Nothin' like a good funeral BBQ! I super duper love funeral potatoes.
*
I love-a my girls, and I'm so glad we had the opportunity to be there for Mary Kate!
8 comments:
Oh wow I had no idea. I guess that's what I get for living in Vegas. I knew this would come early for their family. I am glad to know you guys were all there for her.
Did they really serve funeral potatos at the funeral and in Idaho? Awesome.
That's sad about her mom. I used to work with alzheimer patients so I always have a soft spot for people who have to deal with it.
This post defines true friendship.
What a great friend you are! That is so cool that you could be there for her. What a sad thing to lose your mom at such a young age!
You may not realize how much it meant to your friend having you near at such a difficult time in her life, but I remember when I lost my mom all I wanted was to be surrounded by people who truly loved me. It meant SO MUCH to me and I bet it meant a lot to her.
we're basically the coolest friends EVER
Happy Anniversary Caitlyn! Hope you guys are having a fabulous time! I can't believe we're so grown up to have been married three years! AH!
Do you have a facebook account? Because my email address is on my facebook page, and I'd like to email you a response to your question.
Post a Comment